Privacy Data Handling Policy
The European Commission officially adopted an adequacy decision on the data protection measures in Japan on January 23, 2019 on the basis of Article 45 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR); however, the adequacy decision does not apply to administrative agencies and independent administrative entities in Japan, including NIES. We will appropriately handle the personal data collected from individuals residing and staying in the European Economic Area (EEA) and the UK in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Purposes of use of personal data obtained:
- Planning and operating IWGGMS-18
- Publishing an IWGGMS-18 program and an abstract book on the IWGGMS-18 website (https://www.nies.go.jp/soc/en/events/iwggms18/) and distributing documents to IWGGMS-18 participants.
- Communicating with IWGGMS-18 registrants
- Providing support to IWGGMS-18 registrants
- Distributing information on IWGGMS-18 and upcoming IWGGMS to IWGGMS-18 registrants
Retention period for personal information obtained:
The personal data obtained will not be retained beyond the period required for the purposes of use described above.
Who handles the personal data obtained:
IWGGMS-18 secretariat members, local organizing committee (LOC) members, and scientific program committee (SPC) members. Note that SPC members include those affiliated with organizations other than NIES, and some personal information such as name, affiliation and abstract information will be shared with them solely for the purpose of planning and operating IWGGMS-18.
We will handle the personal data obtained appropriately within the scope of the purposes of use and will never share it with any third party without the prior consent of the individual, except where such disclosure:
- Is in accordance with or required by applicable law.
- Is conducted in cooperation with national or local authorities to enforce the law or conduct legal proceedings, and when seeking the consent of the individual could affect such enforcement or legal proceedings.
- Is necessary to protect the safety or property of the individual or the public, and it is difficult or impractical to obtain the consent of the individual.
- You have the right to request access to, correction, and deletion of your personal data at any time.
- You have the right to request restriction of the use of your personal data at any time.
- You have the right to receive your personal data that you provided to us based on your consent or a contract to which you are the party by automated means in a structured and generally machine-readable format, and the right to transfer the personal data to another data manager without interference from us.
- You have the right to revoke at any time your consent for us to use the personal data you provide. Revocation of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before revocation.
- You have the right to object at any time, for legitimate reasons, to the processing of your personal data.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with a relevant supervisory authority in relation to our handling of your personal data.
You can exercise the above rights by emailing the IWGGMS-18 Secretariat at iwggms-18(at)nies.go.jp.
Refusal to provide personal data:
To participate in IWGGMS-18, you are required to provide your personal data through the IWGGMS-18 Registration Form and Abstract Submission Form. If you do not register, we will not be able to provide some or all of the services for IWGGMS-18.
Data Protection Officer:
Director, Earth System Division, National Institute for Environmental Studies