Center for Global Environmental Research
- Outline of Research
- Research Staff
- Database / Tool
Outline of Research
Contributing solutions to global environmental issues, with an emphasis on climate change
Along with establishing the current circumstances of the global environment, we clarify the causes of environmental change. On this basis, we perform climate risk assessments and future climate change projections as well as research on environmental preservation and conservation. In addition, based on the needs of the environmental administration and to cater to the interests of the public, we actively disseminate our research outcomes and provide scientific expertise.
- Observation and analysis of greenhouse gases which impact the global environment, and clarification of their movement in the global environment and long-term variation mechanisms
- Refinement of the accuracy of future projections through clarification of the actual circumstances of global environmental change
- Climate change and global risk assessment
- Integrated assessment of climate change mitigation and adaptation measures for greenhouse gas emissions /Provision of scientific expertise to contribute to environmental policy-making
- Strategic monitoring of the global environment; Development of global environmental databases; Support for global environmental research
Database / Tool
- East Asian Air Pollutant Emissions Grid Database (EAGrid2000)An emission inventory database (0.5-degree grid) for the analysis of trans-boundary atmospheric pollution in the northern hemisphere.
- Forecast for distributions of Asian dust and anthropogenic aerosols in east Asian regionThis page displays distributions of Asian dust, anthropogenic aerosols, and tracers (chemical components) forecasted by Chemical weather FORecasting System (CFORS).
- CGER METEXYou can calculate air trajectories and plot wind fields and contours of meteorological parameters using the reanalysis data of National center for Environmental Prodiction(NCEP)(available from 1978 to the present, two months delay).
- JaLTER MetacatAn ecological observation database managed by JaLTER in order to facilitate long-term ecological researches. Observation datasets in the database, provided by JaLTER sites, are available for non-commercial use.
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory Office of Japan (GIO)-GHGs Emissions Data of Japan (1990-)National GHGs Inventory Report of JAPAN (NIR), Greenhouse Gas Inventories submitted to UNFCCC by Government of Japan. These data are based on the greenhouse gas inventory submitted from Japanese Government to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- Greenhouse Gases Trend UpdateNIES has been conducting greenhouse-gas monitoring at two ground-based stations.The data of CO2 is available at both sites.
- GOSAT Data Archive Service (GDAS)This web site provides processed products of GOSAT observation data.
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions ScenariosA database collecting a number of greenhouse gas emissions scenarios.
- Terrestrial Ecosystem Carbon Balance Data with 1 km Grid ResolutionWe provide an overview of the current regional patterns of carbon balance by terrestrial ecosystems as map image data. The data are obtained by integrating ground-based and satellite observation data with model simulation, and can be downloaded from this web site.
- Carbon Sink ArchivesA system for storing and analyzing geospatial data related to the studies of terrestrial carbon sink (residual terrestrial uptake).
- Global Land Cover Map (GLCM)The spatial resolution of the global land cover is 30 arc degree in latitude and longitude, and datum of the map is WGS84. This global land cover map is created by integration of existing maps and ground truth data and improved the accuracy by decreasing the classification categories to 6.
- Global 1km Fossil Fuel Carbon Dioxide Emission Dataset (ODIAC)This dataset indicates global distributions of man-made CO2 emissions due to fossil fuel combustion at 1x1km spatial resolution.
- Embodied Energy and Emission Intensity Data for Japan Using Input-Output Tables (3EID)Database compiling embodied environmental burden intensities for approximately 400 sectors of economic activity in 1990 and 1995.
- Global Environmental DatabaseThe Global Environmental Database is an initiative of the Center for Global Environmental Research at NIES, whereby a variety of information relating to the global environment is collated, processed, archived and subsequently provided to researchers in both Japan and overseas, as well as to the general public.
- The global water resources model "H08"The global water resources model H08 is a distributed hydrological model designed for global application. The model enables us to simulate not only natural terrestrial hydrological cycle but also major human activities at high spatial and temporal resolutions. Source code, manuals, and meteorological input data of H08 are available.
- Monitoring Network for Ultraviolet Radiation-UV indexProviding information on ultraviolet radiation, including UV index, for 14 sites in Japan on hourly basis. A website for cellular phone is also available.
- Polar Vortex ForecastsForecast of the position, shape, and size of the polar air-mass in the stratosphere. It is displayed in terms of potential vorticity maps calculated by CGER, using the National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) weather forecast data.
- Information on Vitamin D Synthesis / Erythemal UVUV radiation contains erythemally-weighted UV, as well as UV that synthesizes vitamin D3. Here the time to reach the MED and that needed to produce 10 μg of vitamin D for various sites across the Japanese Archipelago, is shown which will enable people to effectively manage their UV exposure and consider the risks and benefits of UV radiation.
- Institute Overview
- Center for Global Environmental Research
- Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research
- Center for Health and Environmental Risk Research
- Center for Regional Environmental Research
- Center for Environmental Biology and Ecosystem Studies
- Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research
- Center for Environmental Measurement and Analysis
- Research Staff
- Jobs at NIES
- Access and Benefit-Sharing of Genetic Resources