Center for Regional Environmental Research
- Outline of Research
- Research Staff
- Database / Tool
Outline of Research
Contributing solutions for regional environmental issues in Japan and Asia
Mankind’s activities have substantial impacts on both mankind itself and natural ecosystems through environmental media such as the atmosphere, water, and soil. The Center for Regional Environmental Research is investigating the mechanisms by which regional environmental issues develop on multiple scales (local, urban, and trans-boundary) in both Asia and Japan, through research approaches such as extensive monitoring, robust modeling, and laboratory experiments, in order to establish a sound scientific basis for minimizing anthropogenic environmental impact. Furthermore, by integrating many of the outcomes thus obtained, we are developing solutions to such regional environmental issues and investigating how these solutions are applied to the real world.
We have implemented many research topics covering a wide range of regional environmental issues:
- Investigation of air quality issues ranging from local to hemispherical scales, with particular emphasis on trans-boundary transport of air pollutants, and their impact on human health and ecosystems in Asia as well as Japan.
- Assessment, conservation and management of marine environments in enclosed bays and coastal regions in Japan and Asia.
- Quantitative assessment of ecosystem function and subsequent evaluation of the relationships between ecosystem function and various environmental factors in the river basins of Japan and Asia.
- Development and social implementation of co-benefit environmental technologies and systems in urban and regional areas.
- Development of technologies and methodologies on conservation of the regional environments in Japan and Asia.
- Two long-term monitoring programs: (1) Regional Atmospheric Pollutant Monitoring at Cape Hedo on Okinawa Island and Fukuejima in Nagasaki Prefecture, and (2) GEMS/Water trend monitoring of water quality and the ecosystem in Lake Kasumigaura, Ibaraki Prefecture, a collaborative project with the Center for Environmental Biology and Ecosystem Studies.
Database / Tool
- Institute Overview
- Center for Global Environmental Research
- Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research
- Center for Health and Environmental Risk Research
- Center for Regional Environmental Research
- Center for Environmental Biology and Ecosystem Studies
- Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research
- Center for Environmental Measurement and Analysis
- Research Staff
- Jobs at NIES