This is a searchable database containing information on the chief invasive alien species of Japan.
Center for Environmental Biology and Ecosystem Studies
- Outline of Research
- Research Staff
- Database / Tool
Outline of Research
Contributing to the realization of biodiversity conservation and sustainable ecosystem services
We implement research to clarify the relationship between the structure and functions of diverse ecosystems and the impacts of human activities on ecosystems and biodiversity over a variety of spatial and temporal scales.
- Assessment of species extinction risk
- Initiatives to establish effective nature reserves
- Prevention and control of invasive alien species
- Projections on the response of organisms to climate change
- Assessment of impacts on organisms and ecosystems of habitat degradation and toxic substances
- Cryopreservation of genetic resources of endangered species
- Development of species discrimination techniques using DNA
- Long-term ecosystem monitoring (lakes, genetically modified plants, etc.)
Database / Tool
It is possible to refer to the list of strains preserved in the microbial culture collection at NIES, which includes the essential information of the culture strains, the references and image data. Additional information such as how to order, deposit, handle and cultivate strains is also available.
Database providing water quality and aquatic organisms data of Lake Kasumigaura, which has been monitored for nearly 40 years since the establishment of NIES.
- Institute Overview
- Center for Global Environmental Research
- Center for Material Cycles and Waste Management Research
- Center for Health and Environmental Risk Research
- Center for Regional Environmental Research
- Center for Environmental Biology and Ecosystem Studies
- Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research
- Center for Environmental Measurement and Analysis
- Research Staff
- Jobs at NIES
- National Institute for Environmental Studies Basic Policy on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit-sharing