2019-1-16Abstracts of paper has been updated.Challenges in Implementing Emission Mitigation Technologies in Indonesia Agricultural Sector: Criticizing the Available Mitigation Technologies
Authors：Marissa Malahayati, Toshihiko Masui
Journal：Open Agriculture, Vol 3, 46-56
2018-12-14Abstracts of paper has been updated.Socioeconomic factors and future challenges of the goal of limiting the increase in global average temperature to 1.5 <sup>O</sup>C
Authors：Jing-Yu Liu, Shinichiro Fujimori, Kiyoshi Takahashi, Tomoko Hasegawa, Xuanming Su, Toshihiko Masui
Journal：Carbon Management, (in press)
2018-9-22Publications and other results has been updated<peer reviewed paper>
Dou Y., Okuoka K., Fujii M., Tanikawa H., Fujita T., Togawa T., Dong L. (2018) Proliferation of district heating using local energy resources through strategic building-stock management: A case study in Fukushima, Japan. Frontiers in Energy, 12 (3), 411-425
Estoque R.C., Myint, S.W., Wang, C., Ishtiaque, A., Aung, T.T., Emerton, L., Oba M., Hijioka Y., Mon, M.S., Wang, Z., Fan, C. (2018) Assessing environmental impacts and change in Myanmar’s mangrove ecosystem service value due to deforestation (2000-2014). Global Change Biology, 1-20
Estoque R.C., Murayama Y., Lasco R.D., Myint S.W., Pulhin F.B., Wang C., Oba M., Hijioka Y. (2018) Changes in the landscape pattern of the La Mesa Watershed - The last ecological frontier of Metro Manila, Philippines. Forest Ecology and Management, 430, 280-290
Estoque R., Togawa T., Oba M., Gomi K., Nakamura S., Hijioka Y., Kameyama Y. (2018) A review of quality of life (QOL) assessments and indicators: Towards a QOL-Climate assessment framework. AMBIO, 1-20
Ranagalage M., Dissanayake D., Murayama Y., Zhang X., Estoque R., Perera E., Morimoto T. (2018) Quantifying surface urban heat island formation in the world heritage tropical mountain city of Sri Lanka. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7
2018-9-22Abstracts of paper has been updated."Varying beneﬁts of irrigation expansion for crop production under a changing climate and competitive water use among crops"
Masashi Okada, Toshichika Iizumi, Takaaki Sakamoto, Mizuki Kotoku, Gen Sakurai, Yasuaki Hijioka, and Motoki Nishimori
"Changes in the landscape pattern of the La Mesa Watershed - The last ecologival frontier of Metro Manila, Philippines"
Ronald C. Estoque, Yuji Murayama, Rodel D. Lasco, Soe W. Myint, Florencia B. Pulhin, Chuyuan Wang, Makoto Ooba, and Yasuaki Hijioka
"Simultaneous comparison and assessment of eight remotely sensed maps of Philippine forests"
Ronald C. Estoque, Yuji Murayama, Rodel D. Lasco, Soe W. Myint, Florencia B. Pulhin, Chuyuan Wang, Makoto Ooba, and Yasuaki Hijioka
"A review of quality of life (QOL) assessment and change in Myanmar's mangrove ecosystem service value due to deforestation (2000-2014)"
Ronald C. Estoque, Takuya Togawa, Makoto Ooba, Kei Gomi, Shogo Nakamura, Yasuaki Hijioka, and Yasuko Kameyama
"Monitoring surface urban heat island formation in a tropical mountain city using Landsat data(1987-2015)"
Ronald C. Estoque and Yuji Murayama
"Proliferation of district heating using local energy resources through strategic building-stock management: A case study in Fukushima, Japan"
Yi Dou, Keijiro Okuoka, Minoru Fujii, Hiroki Tanikawa, Tsuyoshi Fujita, Takuya Togawa, Liang Dong
- 2018-9-11Publications and other results has been updated
- 2018-8-3Publications and other results has been updated
2018-7-5Abstracts of paper has been updated."Employing electricity-consumption monitoring systems and integrative time-series analysis models: A case study in Bogor, Indonesia."
Maki S., Ashina S., Fujii M., Fujita T., Yabe N., Uchida K., Ginting G., Boer R., Chandran R.
2018-7-2Publications and other results has been updated<peer reviewed paper>
Maki S., Ashina S., Fujii M., Fujita T., Yabe N., Uchida K., Ginting G., Boer R., Chandran R. (2018) Employing electricity-consumption monitoring systems and integrative time-series analysis models: A case study in Bogor, Indonesia. Frontiers in Energy,
2018-6-15Publications and other results has been updated<peer reviewed paper>
Chandran R., Fujita T., Fujii M., Ashina S., Gomi K., Boer R., Ardiansyah M., Maki S. (2018) Expert networks as science-policy interlocutors in the implementation of a monitoring reporting and verification (MRV) system. Frontiers in Energy, 1-13
- 2018-5-2Publications and other results has been updated
2018-4-5Publications and other results has been updatedPeer reviewed paper;
Rogelj J. , Popp A. , Calvin K.V., Luderer G., Emmerling J., Gernaat D., Fujimori S., Strefler J., Hasegawa T., Marangoni G., Krey V., Kriegler E., Riahi K., Vuuren D.P., Doelman J., Drouet L., Edmonds J., Fricko O., Harmsen M., Havlik P., Humpenoder F., Stehfest E., Tavoni M. (2018) Scenarios towards limiting global mean temperature increase below 1.5 °C. Nature Climate Change,
Xing R., Hanaoka T., Kanamori Y., Masui T. (2018) Achieving Chinas Intended Nationally Determined Contribution and its co-benefits:Effects of the residential sector. Journal of Cleaner Production, 172 (20), 2964-2977
- 2018-3-12Publications and other results has been updated
2018-2-22Abstracts of paper has been updated."Modeling the relationship between the urban development and subsurface warming in seven Asian megacities."
Ichinose, T. and K. Liu
2018-2-7Publications and other results has been updated<Published in journal(peer reviewed)>
Su X., Shiogama H., Tanaka K., Fujimori S., Hasegawa T., Hijioka Y., Takahashi K., Liu J. (2018) How do climate-related uncertainties influence 2 and 1.5 °C pathways?. Sustainability Science, 1-9
2018-1-10Publications and other results has been updated<Award>
Dou Y.,Tanikawa H.,Fujita T.,Fujii M.,Okuoka K.(2017)Best Creative Research Award
"Integrated planning and assessment for low-carbon eco-city development through strategic urban renewal and energy symbiosis"
awarded by 2017 Graduate Student Forum on Sustainable Use of Natural Resources
2018-1-9New Publication "Post-2020 Climate Action Global and Asian Perspectives"Year：2017
Editors：Fujimori Shinichiro, Kainuma Mikiko, Masui Toshihiko
2017-12-21Abstracts of paper has been updated."Contribution of the transport sector to climate change mitigation: Insights from a global passenger transport model coupled with a computable general equilibrium model"
Runsen Zhang, Shinichiro Fujimori, Hancheng Dai, Tatsuya Hanaoka
2017-12-1823rd AIM international workshop was held on Nov. 27-29th, 2017.Date: November 27 - 29, 2017
Place: At Ohyama Memorial Hall, National Institute for Environmental Studies, 305-8506, Tsukuba, Japan
2017-12-18Abstracts of paper has been updated."Potential of Waste Heat Exchange Considering Industrial Location Changes: A Case of Shinchi-Soma Region in Fukushima, Japan"
Yi DOU, Minoru FUJII, Tsuyoshi FUJITA, Kei GOMI, Seiya MAKI, Hiroki TANIKAWA
"Feasibility of Developing Heat Exchange Network between Incineration Facilities and Industries in Cities: Case of Tokyo Metropolitan Area"
Yi Dou, Satoshi Ohnishi, Minoru Fujii, Takuya Togawa,Tsuyoshi Fujita, Hiroki Tanikawa, Liang Dong
2017-12-18Publications and other results has been updated<Award>
Dou Y., Okuoka K., Fujii M., Tanikawa H., Fujita T., Togawa T. (2017) Outstanding Presentation Award
"Diffusion of Low-carbon District Heating Systems Considering Urban Renewal Strategies: Case of Shinchi-Soma Region in Fukushima, Japan"
awarded by Organizing Committee of International Conference on Materials and Systems for Sustainability 2017
- 2017-12-4Publications and other results has been updated
2017-9-20 "Towards the Paris Agreement World Pathway, Japan Pathway" Debrief Session of the Environment Research and Technology Development Fund 2-1702Date: October 3, 2017 (Tuesday) 14:00-16:30
Place: 1F Kuramae Hall, Tokyo Tech Front
Hosted: National Institute for Environmental Studies,
Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research
the Environment Research and Technology Development Fund 2-1702
※Admission free ⁄ Simultaneous translation
2017-9-20Abstracts of paper has been updated.Household Activity Travel Simulator for Child-care: the Activity Re-scheduler with Interactive Generation of Alternative Travel Opportunities (ARIGATO-Childcare).
Ariga T., Aono S., Ohmori N.
- 2017-9-15Research Program page is now opened
2017-9-14Publications and other results has been updated.Peer reviewed paper:
Chunark P., Limmeechokchai B., Fujimori S., Masui T. (2017) Renewable energy achievements in CO2 mitigation in Thailand. Renewable Energy, 114 (B), 1294-1305
Iizumi T., Furuya J. , Shen Z., Kim W., Okada M., Fujimori S., Hasegawa T., Nishimori M. (2017) Responses of crop yield growth to global temperature and socioeconomic changes. Scientific Reports, 7 (7800)
Edelenbosch O.Y. , Mccollum D.L., Vuuren D.P., Bertram C., Carrara S., Daly H., Fujimori S., Kitous A., Kyle P., Broin E.O., Karkatsoulis P., Sano F. (2017) Decomposing passenger transport futures: Comparing results of global integrated assessment models. Transportation Research, D (55), 281-293
2017-8-17Publications and other results has been updated.Peer reviewed paper:
Xing R., Hanaoka T., Kanamori Y., Masui T. (2017) Greenhouse Gas and Air Pollutant Emissions of China’s Residential Sector: The Importance of Considering Energy Transition. Sustainability, 9 (614)
Park Chan, Xing R., Hanaoka T., Kanamori Y., Masui T. (2017) Impact of Energy Efficient Technologies on Residential CO2 Emissions: A Comparison of Korea and China. Energy Procedia, (111), 689-698
Ariga T., Aono S., Ohmori N. (2017) Household Activity Travel Simulator for Child-care: the Activity Re-scheduler with Interactive Generation of Alternative Travel Opportunities (ARIGATO-Childcare). Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management,
- 2017-7-7Publications and other results has been updated.
2017-7-3Abstracts of paper has been updated.『Cost of preventing workplace heat-related illness through worker breaks and the benefit of climate-change mitigation』
Jun’ya Takakura, Shinichiro Fujimori, Kiyoshi Takahashi, Yasuaki Hijioka, Tomoko Hasegawa, Yasushi Honda, and Toshihiko Masui
- 2017-4-24Abstracts of paper has been updated."Regional feasibility study on district sewage heat supply in Tokyo with geographic information system" Toshiaki Ichinose, Hiromitsu Kawahara
- 2017-3-31Introductory movie of “CD-LINKS project”, international research projects of climate-development policy, has been released online. Dr. Shinichiro FUJIMORI from Center for Social and Environmental Research Systems is featured in the video.
2017-3-23Publications and other results has been updated.Peer reviewed paper:
Fujimori S., Hasegawa T., Masui T., Takahashi K., Herran D.S., Dai H., Hijioka Y., Kainuma M. (2017) SSP3: AIM implementation of Shared Socioeconomic Pathways. Global Environmental Change, 42, 268-283, and others
- 2017-3-13Abstracts of paper has been updated."SSP3: AIM Implementation of Shared Socioeconomic Pathways" Shinichiro Fujimori, Tomoko Hasegawa, Toshihiko Masui, Kiyoshi Takahashi, Diego Silva Herren, Hancheng Dai, Yasuaki Hijioka, and Mikiko Kainuma
- 2017-3-3Abstracts of paper has been updated."Low-Carbon Energy Development in Indonesia in Alignment with Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) by 2030" Ucok W.R. Siagian , Bintang B. Yuwono, Shinichiro Fujimori and Toshihiko Masui
- 2017-2-9Abstracts of paper has been updated."On the scaling of climate impact indicators with global mean temperature increase: a case study of terrestrial ecosystems and water resources" Akemi Tanaka, Kiyoshi Takahashi, Hideo Shiogama, Naota Hanasaki, Yoshimitsu Masaki, Akihiko Ito, Hibiki Noda, Yasuaki Hijioka, Seita Emori
- 2017-2-9Publications and other results has been updated.
- 2017-2-8Dr. Hijioka has been elected as lead author of chapter 3 of Special Report on 1.5 Degree by IPCC.
- 2017-2-7NIES is involved in establishment of "Global Centre of Excellence on Climate Adaptation". Prof. Fujita (Director) and Dr. Hijioka (Head) will be in charge of coming missions.
- 2017-1-17Abstracts of paper has been updated.
- 2017-1-17Publication and other results has been updated.
- 2017-1-13Prof.Fujita, Dr. Hijioka will give presentation, and Dr. Ariga will give poster presentation at 2nd NIES international forum upcoming on January 26th-28th at Bali, Indonesia.
2017-1-4"Climate Change Policy in Japan from the 1980s to 2015" (written by Kameyama Deputy Director) is now publishedClimate Change Policy in Japan
From the 1980s to 2015
"...This book considers Japan's response to the climate change problem from the late 1980s up to the present day, assessing how the Japanese government's policy-making process has developed over time...."
- 2016-12-14Abstracts of paper has been updated.
- 2016-12-14The 22nd AIM international workshop has been held.
- 2016-11-22COP22 side event "Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (C-PPI) --a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national level" report
- 2016-11-4Discussion paper "Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (C-PPI) ver.3 37 Action indicators and 6 Outcome indicators to measure climate mitigation policies" is published.
- 2016-11-4Please join us at our side event during COP22! "Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (CPPI) --a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national levels"Friday 18th, November @ Japan Pavilion
2016-11-2Three COP22 side events will be organized by members of our research center.Side events by Dr. Junichi Fujino
DATE: Tues. 8th, Nov.
VENUE: Japan Pavilion
TITLE: Development and Implementation of the Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP) in Asian Cities
CO-ORGANIZERS: University of Technology, Malaysia (UTM)
DATE: Wed. 9th Nov
VENUE: Observer room 10 (150)
TITLE: Enabling NDC and local low carbon initiatives by modeling and market mechanism- in the case Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam -
CO-ORGANIZERS: University of Technology, Malaysia (UTM), Overseas Environmental Cooperation Center (OECC), Ministry of the Environment, Japan (MOEJ)
A side event by Dr. Yasuko Kameyama
DATE: Fri. 18th Nov
VENUE: Japan Pavilion
TITLE: Climate Change Mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (C-PPI) - a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national levels
CO-ORGANIZERS: Nagoya University, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)
- 2016-9-9Dr. Aoyagi has won the Academic Prize of Society of Environmental Science, Japan (SES)
- 2016-9-9Dr. Ichinose has won the Academic Prize of Society of Environmental Science, Japan (SES)
- 2016-9-7Open Seminar on Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (C-PPI) --a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national levels
- 2016-7-11Discussion paper "Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (C-PPI) Interim report for the fiscal year 2015" is published.
- 2016-3-312th Asia-Pacific Eco-Business Forum in Kawasaki: Report of workshop session18th of February, 2016 at seminar room of sub arena of Todoroki arena in Kawasaki city
- 2016-2-5Event report of COP21 side eventClimate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (CPPI)--a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national levels
- 2015-12-11COP21 side event report.
- 2015-12-3NIES will organize a side event at COP21, "Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (CPPI) -- a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national levels".
- 2015-11-27NIES will co-host a side event at COP21, "East Asia Low Carbon Growth Dialogue".
- 2015-11-20Website opened."Climate change mitigation Policy Progression Indicator (CPPI)--a tool for measuring progression of climate change mitigation at national levels"
- 2015-9-10NIES and ITB sign Memorandum of Understanding for comprehensive research cooperation
- 2015-9-9Call for papers: “Urban Infrastructure Systems for Sustainable Resource Management”
- 2015-9-8Dr.Hijioka had a round table talk with the Administrator of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- 2015-9-1Dr. Kameyama was interviewed by an on-line news site “Asialyst”. (in French)COP21 : les engagements peu convaincants de Tokyo
- 2015-8-20NIES collaborates with International Researchers and Policy makers at ISAP 2015 in advancing science-policy research
- 2015-6-12Research staffs of our center will contribute to ISAP2015 hosted by IGES on July.28, 29IGES(Institute for Global Environmental Strategies) is holding ISAP2015(the 7th International Forum for Sustainable Asia and the Pacific) on 28 and 29 of July, at Pacifico Yokohama. Research staffs of our center will contribute to coordinate one of the session during the conference.
- 2015-6-3Options for the Paris agreement under the Durban Platform process: Results of a 2015 online questionnaire survey (PDF:1.42MB) is published.
- 2015-4-22Hasegawa et al.(2015) was introduced at news of EnvironmentalResearchWeb. Please see index about detail.
2015-3-26A new article has been accepted on line by Journal of Cleaner Production.Title: Finance for achieving low-carbon development in Asia: the past, present, and prospects for the future
Yasuko Kameyama, Kanako Morita, Izumi Kubota (External link)
- 2015-3-25Dr. Fujino was interviewed about "The world taking action on Climate Change"."HIGHLIGHTING JAPAN #84 February 2015" Government of Japan (External link)
- 2015-2-19Hasegawa et al.(2015) was selected in monthly highlights of Environmental Research Letters in January 2015. Please see Index about detail.
- 2015-1-5Dr .Hijioka delivered a lecture at a kick off symposium of Shinshu-region Climate Change monitoring Network held on November 10
- 2015-1-5Members of our laboratory participated in International Society for Industrial Ecology (ISIE) Socio-Economic Metabolism section conference and ISIE Asia-Pacific conference
- 2015-1-5Dr. Hijioka delivered a lecture at Environmental Research Symposium held on November 21
- 2014-9-22Report Seminar of Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project（DDPP）”Possibility of Low Carbon Society” will be held on October 7.
- 2014-8-5Japan 2050 Low Carbon Navigator (Low Carbon Navigator) -Using this tool for exploring low-carbon energy scenarios- (External link)
- 2014-7-8Options of the 2015 agreement under the Durban Platform process: focusing on legal form of the agreement, nationally determined contributions, and finance(PDF:3MB) is published.
- 2014-4-18National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES) Public Symposium 2014: Towards Low Carbon Society - Initiatives to reduce Greenhouse Gases and Our Future [Finished]
- 2014-1-5Dr. Hijioka appeared on News WEB NHK of “Is this year's global average temperature highest of the past observed records?” on December 4
- 2014-1-5Dr. Hijioka was a panelist at “Science of Climate Change and our Future-the latest scientific findings of IPCC and perspective for COP21”symposium held on December 25, hosted by ministry of Environment
- 2013-11-25We organized a number of side events at COP19.
- 2013-11-13The pilot project for the “Eco-Life Challenge” low carbon education program for elementary schools was implemented in Iskandar Malaysia
- 2013-11-13A poster presentation entitled “Development of Low Carbon Society (LCS) Scenarios for Asian Region” was made at the Environmental Research Symposium.
- A poster presentation was made at the SETAC Europe 19th LCA Case Study Symposium:
- A presentation was made at the “Realizing Low Carbon Cities in North-East Asia: Bridging science, policy and promoting cooperation” international symposium:
- The 10th Asia-Pacific Eco-Business Forum in Kawasaki was held on Thursday, February 13 and Friday, February 14, 2014.
- English website for the Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research inaugurated. Website updated.
Please see the contact details below for any inquiries or comments regarding the information given on this website.